Veganuary Co-Founder, Matthew Glover, launches new vegan investment fund, ‘Veg Capital’ – with all profits to go to charity! Veg Capital will provide Angel, Seed and Series A funding, with investments typically ranging from £50,000 to £250,000 to companies striving to replace the use of animals in the food system. The fund’s focus will be on companies that develop innovative plant-based and cultivated replacements to animal products, including meat, seafood, dairy and eggs.
Veg Capital is an ethical and environmental mission that seeks to reduce the burden on our planet, spare the lives of animals and create a sustainable food industry. Unlike traditional investment firms, Veg Capital plans to donate all profits to UK and European animal protection charities.
‘Our aim is to drive up the supply of vegan foods while driving down demand for animal products. We invest in plant-based foods and then through our philanthropy help raise awareness and increase demand for that food. It’s a double whammy of activism. We’ve already provided funding to eight game-changer companies and there is much more to come!’Matthew Glover, Managing Director, Veg Capital
Since COVID-19 began, we’ve seen plant-based product sales growth exceed that of animal-based products, both in meat and dairy categories. In the United States, sales of vegan meat jumped by a staggering 280% and sales of oat milk jumped by 477% in the second week of March compared to the same period last year, as the country became the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic. This meat crisis has become a big opportunity for plant-based protein companies that have developed healthier, safer and more environmentally friendly alternatives to traditional animal products.
Veg Capital portfolio include these plant based businesses:
- Mighty Pea: Mighty Pea M.lk, is a smooth and creamy, dairy-free alternative to milk, made from yellow split peas. It contains more protein and calcium than regular plant milk and split peas are a sustainable solution.
- Grounded: GROUNDED® make 100% natural sustainably packaged plant-based protein m*lkshakes. They have ambitious plans to innovate in & disrupt the wider functional f&b space with only natural, plant-based ingredients.
- Mummy Meagz: Mummy Meagz creates indulgent chocolate treats including a range of vegan Rockie Road bars and have recently launched the Chuckie Egg.
- TheVeganKind: The UK’s leading 100% vegan online supermarket and vegan subscription service.
- Plantifull: Delicious plant-based meal pots and high-protein vegan jerky. 100% plant-based snacks.
- Native Snacks: Native Snacks are on a mission to unearth plant-based snacks from around the world. Their first product range is Popped Lotus Seeds from India.
- One Planet Pizza: The UK’s first frozen vegan pizza company.
- Good Catch: Plant-based seafood. They’re disrupting the seafood category, not the ocean’s natural resources.
- Vevolution: Vevolution creates inspiring events and multimedia content for the plant powered positive changemakers.
Read more at Veg Capital